Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Timeless Wedding Dress

By Anne

There are definitely a few classic movies that you love to watch over and over again. For me, Funny Face (1957) is one of them. I watched it again over the weekend, and fell in love with the movie all over again. The first time I saw it I was in my pre-teenage years. My mother has always been a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, so we ended up watching all her movies at a pretty young age. As a child, I was amazed by the seeming endless parade of pretty dresses on the television. The movie is a fairy tale; it is the “pretty woman” of the 50’s. And yet, when I watched it again last night, I was captivated by the timelessness of all the styles of the dresses on Hepburn. All the dresses she wore in the movie were designed by Hubert de Givenchy, who was then a young, up-and-coming designer. Perhaps one of the most memorable pieces was the wedding dress – a bateau neck, tea-length wedding dress, which design is ahead of its time. It’s a great dress for an afternoon garden wedding and especially for brides who love dancing.